Monday, April 16, 2012

Wrap Magazine Collaboration

Wow, I'm writing this later than I had planned, but, hey, that means I'm busy in the studio huh? :)

I had an incredible opportunity a couple months back to work with Wrap Magazine. I wrote a little in a previous post. But I wanted to share a bit more.  (Read more about our collaboration in a blog post by Wrap)



I discovered Wrap from a tweet by Grace of Design*Sponge last summer, I think. And I immediately ordered issues 1 & 2. I couldn't wait until issue 3 and it was no disappointment. Polly & Chris sent me an email as they were planning issue 4. (I am a huge fan and was completely thrilled!) The theme of the issue is inspired by North America (Wrap is out of the UK) and they had a few questions about letterpress for an article. Chris had the great idea of letterpress printing the title of the article and I can't much resist getting my hands into moveable type. Though we don't have much wood type, I do have a bunch of lead type, lots of sizes and shapes. I found some ornaments and some good typefaces and set it the type, locked up the Vandercook, printed, and then photographed.


Wrap is now available as a subscription and so during the conversation we discussed how fun it would be to offer a free gift to the 1st 150 subscribers. And, gift tags compliment wrapping paper perfectly. Chris sent me the sweet raccoon illustration, we printed the tags, and packaged them in sets of 3. 


Issue four is brilliantly written and full of amazing illustrators as well as other interesting finds. The paper is luscious and the printing is rich. The wrapping paper side of the pages is so good you will almost want to hang it on the wall instead of using it for wrapping. I wrapped all the Christmas gifts I gave this last year in Wrap, and I have to admit, the paper made it quite special. 




It was also great to discover one of my very favorite illustrators, Julia Pott, inside the issue! (she's in the US via the UK). Check out Wrap Magazine if you haven't already. It's worth the wait of overseas shipping, it's affordable, and one of the best new magazines out there today.

Links to others in the article: ink meets paper, Inkwell Boutique (a shop I so so want to visit!), and YeeHaw Industries.
Wrap's blog post about our collaboration, is here.

And if that's not all enough, they sell single sheets of wrapping paper in "wrap packs" (also comes with a card and tape shapes), super awesome taps shapes (great alternative to boring scotch tape), and tote bags! check out their shop, here.



No comments:

Post a Comment